There are many questions people have before deciding to secure their home. Do you want a wireless home alarm system? Are you looking for monitoring? What kind? Do you want to automate your home? Do you want a mobile app?
These questions and more can all be answered by your alarm company before you decide to buy. These are also some of the things you should be thinking of when deciding if you want a home alarm system. Before getting your new home alarm system, learn what to expect, and how to prepare.
Prepare for a Home Alarm System
- Obtain a permit – Before you install your home security system, refer to or call your city to find out about any ordinances or requirements you may need before an alarm installation.
- Determine the most convenient places to keep your keypad and sensors – Most alarm companies will do this for you. If they don’t, you want to keep these in a location of your home that would be most convenient. You should also consider what wiring may be needed and the wall space available. Our security professionals at Bay Alarm will provide you with a location map of your entire system, making it easier to learn, keep track, or change if needed.
- Think of a secure code – If your alarm system will require a code, decide on something that everyone in your household can remember easily. Maybe a pet’s birthday, or a combination of ages. What you want to avoid is something that intruders can figure out like “1234” or “8888”.
- Have easy access – You don’t want it to be difficult to get to your home alarm keypad. It is most common for a keypad to be at a clear entryway. Ensuring the location is clutter free and in an open area, makes for easy and effective use.
- Write down any questions you may have – And don’t be afraid to ask them! After all, that’s what your installer is there for. During the final walkthrough of how to use your new system questions may come up, and you might forget that one question you thought was important yesterday. Have your notepad ready to take notes, and to keep all of your questions at the top of your mind.
- Learn your home security system – Most importantly, take advantage of all of your new features. If you decide to get the mobile app, look around in the app to find out exactly what it can do and familiarize yourself with the features and controls. A Bay Alarm expert will happily assist you in explaining your system thoroughly and answer any questions you may have.
- Download apps ahead of time – If the company you choose has an app that pairs with your new alarm system, download it before your installation date. While your alarm expert is with you, they will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding the app.
- Enjoy safety – You and your family can relax knowing that you are safe and secured!
How to Choose a Home Security Company
Today, more than ever, it’s up to you to take proper precautions to keep your home safe. One of the easiest and most reliable ways is having a professionally installed and monitored home security system. In fact, according to a study by the University of North Carolina, 60% of burglars said that the presence of a home security system would cause them to seek another target.
Before you decide which home security company you’ll do business with, take the time to get some important questions answered first. Between understanding equipment specifications, service packages, contracts details, and all of the other customizations available, the selection process can be quite daunting.
Get our free guide “17 Questions to Ask Home Security Providers Before Making a Purchase [PDF]”
We hope this guide provides you with the information you need to help you confidently evaluate home security providers. We know that protecting your home and family is your top priority. It’s ours, too. And we’ve been doing it for over 70 years. That’s why we do it better than anyone else. Request a free quote here.