Summer is here and that means families will be heading out of town for weekend getaways or extended family vacations. The last thing you want to worry about is the security of your home.
According to the FBI, in 2016 there were 1,515,096 burglaries in the United States. Burglars know that people are away on vacation during the summer months and that is why the biggest months for home break-ins are July and August.
Home Security Vacation Checklist
There are a number of simple things you can do to protect your home while on vacation.
- Tell a trusted neighbor about your travel plans so they can be on the lookout for suspicious activity.
- Don’t post on social media that you are away on vacation or post pictures that verify you are away from home (wait and post these when you return).
- Ask the post office to hold your mail.
- Stop the newspaper delivery.
- Don’t leave spare keys outdoors (especially not in popular hiding places).
- Make sure all your doors are locked including the garage door.
- Make sure your landscape is maintained as it would if you were home.
- Prevent power surges by disconnecting electronics.
- Prepare your kitchen by going through the refrigerator, tossing perishable items and empty trash cans.
- Arrange for a neighbor to put trash out; and be sure trash cans aren’t left on the street for several days.
- Have a neighbor park a car in your driveway.
- Set your programmable thermostat.
- Plan on some exterior lighting set to timers or motion detectors.
- Consider a professionally installed home security alarm system. Homes without a security system are three times as likely to be burglarized as those with one. Bay Alarm home security systems with the Bay Alarm Connect app allow you to check on your home and access features like the thermostat, lights, and locks from anywhere, anytime.
With a Bay Alarm security system you can get peace of mind and assurance that your home is in safe hands. From our 24/7 professional alarm monitoring to our highly trained technicians who expertly install your home security system, Bay Alarm has you covered. That’s the Bay Alarm difference.
Learn More About Home Security
Ready to learn more about the home security options that make sense for your home? Bay Alarm is here to answer all of your questions. Click here to request a free, custom quote.
>> Want more home safety tips right now? Download our free guide 10 Things You Can Do To Make Your Home More Secure.